Does the little voice in your head have a story it likes to tell? Or an underlying theme to the chatter that tells you all the reasons why you can not do something, or why it will never work, or that no one will like your work enough to pay money for it? First, tell that voice to sit down, and shut up. That voice is trying to protect you from getting hurt. But what it doesn’t realize, is that by doing so it is hurting you.
It’s time to retrain your thoughts.
- Become aware of your “story”. What is the common thread in your life? What stories do you tell over and over? “There is not enough (time, money, love, etc)”, or “Poor me, I am always the victim.” Try to record a few of your conversations. See if you can pick up on a theme that “holds you back”. Ask a trusted, honest friend what they think your self sabotage tool of choice is. Start journaling so you have something to look back through to find your “story”.
- Make a list of the things you really truly like about yourself. Shoot for at least 10 things, even if you really have to stretch to complete the list. Hang the list on your bathroom mirror. Add to the list at least once a month.
- Take note of the people you spend the most time with. You become like the top 3-5 people you spend the most time with each week. If they are not positive people, it will be hard for you to be positive as well. Make the effort to surround yourself with solid role models with values you admire.
- Think about the music or media that you watch or listen to each day. Really listen to the lyrics, the messages, whether obvious or not. Just as you become like the people you spend the most time with, you can also take on the mood of the media you spend time around consistently.
- Appreciate the gifts you already have. If the Universe does not think you appreciate what you have so far, why would the Universe want to gift you with more?
Who is the most positive influence you have in your life right now? How often do you see that person? What is your favorite song? Do the lyrics have a significant meaning to you? Tell me in the comments!
Free Goal Worksheet Download
Move forward and set some goals!